Search This Blog

EXCURSIONS IN LATERAL THINKING FROM

AMHERST, MASSACHUSETTS AND THE PIONEER VALLEY








Monday, April 23, 2012

I’m with Mensa


What's worse than being stuck in glacial traffic at rush hour on the Calvin Coolidge Bridge outside Northampton, Massachusetts?  Answer: the same predicament but with the bumper sticker Mensa Member staring you in the face. Not the more common, less self-congratulatory version that simply reads "Mensa Society," but the one that  proclaims the bearer’s membership in the cult. (and, hence, his unambiguous superiority) So I sat in traffic behind this egotist who might just as well have flipped me the bird for five minutes palpitating, “I’m smart! And then some--I’m Mensa smart!”
I did try to ignore the barrage, but five minutes behind him in dead-cat-bounce traffic seemed an eternity and a Mensatudinus day. If you ever have the need, do what I did:  undress the felonius bumper sticker in your mind's eye and substitute the sticker below.



For the final word on intelligence--emotional, social, Stanford-Binet--we turn to the sons of Gama Rex in Gilbert & Sullivan's Princess Ida. They begin their ditty about 33 seconds into the clip below:







No comments: